Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Celluloid Bachelor #17: The Modern Electric's 'interview' with David Bowie

By now you know that The Modern Electric are on the bill for the December Cleveland Bachelor Show of the Month (12/23, Beachland Ballroom & Tavern, $7, blah blah blah).

Let me be clear about something: I am not excited about The Modern Electric because they are playing the 12/23 show. Rather, I am excited about the 12/23 show because The Modern Electric are on the bill (and because Unsparing Sea is, too).

I've been championing this album ever since I first heard it. Don't believe me? Check out this review, back in late summer. One of the tracks on it, "David Bowie (Save Us All)" is not just one of the best of the year, it is one of the best I've heard in years. Recently, the band conducted an interview with the inspiration of that song, the thin white duke himself. Brilliant, totally brilliant.



For those of you late to the party - or, rather, on time, since the party doesn't go down till next Wednesday night - I don't have a download of the song to share, but below you'll find a video of the band performing it last month. The fidelity isn't great, so I highly recommend you patronize one of your local indie rock record stores and pick up a copy of the album. Or, better yet, just trust my judgment, come to the show on 12/23, and pick up a copy from the band themselves at the merch table.

1 comment:

Brian said...

David Bowie is my hero. D. D. D. David. David Bowie. David Bowie is my hero.