Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Celluloid Bachelor #50: Floating Action "50 Lashes"

Today's video isn't from a new track, but it is from the catchiest track off one of my favorite albums of 2009. Tha album was Floating Action's self-titled record and it came in #5 on my list of the top 25 releases of last year. (You can check out the full list here).

As I wrote then, this is a band I totally can't brag about discovering in any organic way. A friend of mine burned me a CD, and then when I fell in love, I mentioned them to another friend of mine, who turned out to be the one who burned the same CD for the friend who gave it to me in the first place! The album is wonderful, a one-man band who sounds like the best Caribbean-influenced indie pop quintet you've ever heard or ever will. (Think Dent May but way less gimmicky.) I cannot wait for the day this act makes its way to Clevelandland. Until then, I'll continue to assuage my free cd guilt by telling anyone and everyone about the record.

The track is "50 Lashes," a lazy, almost Hawaiian sounding ditty about love, sacrifice, and the limits involved therein. The video is made up of stop-motion photography that documents the band alternately playing hoops, goofing around, and gigging on the court. It's pretty cool and, somehow, appropriate. Dig it.