Monday, January 11, 2010

Celluloid Bachelor #40: Headlights "Love Song for Buddy"

I'm increasingly a sucker for illustration, and I just love the roving static shots in this video, as well as the art it slowly scans. In fact, I think I like those shots more than the animation, though the simplicity of it is often cute. Then again, what artist wants their work to be called cute?

The song that accompanies the video (or perhaps I have that backwards) could also be called cute, though given its quality and its slight tinge of melancholy, I'd rather call it sweet and sentimental. The track - "Love Song for Buddy" by Champaign, IL's Headlights - is also quite good, featuring a simple structure, both lyrically and musically, with a graceful, lulling lilt. This could be a song played during an otherwise silent sledding scene in an indie romantic drama. For now, though, it is the lead track from the band's recently released third record, Wildlife.

1 comment:

A Song About Love said...

Hey! I was searching for love songs to compare what I wrote... I wrote up this love song for my girlfriend, if you like let me know what you think :) By the way, your blog is wayyyy nicer than mine, I didn't know you can get all fancy with this stuff :P
A Song About Love