Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Celluloid Bachelor #3: The Low Anthem's Charlie Darwin

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the band that put out one of my favorite "sophisticated" indie rock albums this year and that played one of the most notable and durable live shows I've seen this year should also be responsible for one of the loveliest and innovative music videos I've seen in a long, long time.

Providence-based The Low Anthem have been on fire this year, and I've had this song rattling 'round my brain (in a very good way) ever since I heard Bob Boilen play it on NPR's All Songs Considered podcast some months ago. As a track, "Charlie Darwin" is haunting, mysterious, and mournfully ironic. As a video, the band takes a song already clearly in the "A" range and forces even the most jaded critic to start adding soon-ubiquitous plus signs.

No comments: