Saturday, July 5, 2008

surreal

So earlier today, after my arrival at Hopkins, I was walking from my arrival gate to baggage claim and then my car, which was in long-term parking.

All the way from the gate to baggage there was a thick crowd of folks going in every direction. After getting my bags, there was still a presence of strangers walking with and past me as I headed toward the parking area.

About the time I passed short-term parking, though, I realized I was alone. From there, all the way to my car, I was walking solo.

It was really weird, all these hyper-lighted corridors, which I would call antiseptic if they weren't so dingy. Maybe stark is more appropriate. Long halls of moving sidewalks going barely faster than a normal walking pace. A low consistent hum of electricity. Entirely devoid of anything you could relate to as a human.

I felt like I was in some interactive art installation piece, some metaphor about alienation and society and technology.

Then I got outside and it was the most beautiful weather I've experienced since moving here about 11 months ago.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that's quite lovely, CB.