Sunday, July 13, 2008

$45 rant

I went out for breakfast today. It cost me $45. Hence the title of this post.

$45?, you ask. CB, did you take out a small family?

No, hypothetical interviewer, I did not.

Did you go somewhere swanky, like that restaurant at the Intercontinental?

No, I didn't do that, either.

Did you actually order 5 breakfasts for yourself, you disgusting pig?

No, not that.

None of those.

Instead, I decided to take my significant other out for breakfast before she had to go to work. We were on the east side and she suggested the apparently recently opened Vine and Bean, brought to us by the folks that have hosted so many fine brunches at Lucky's in Tremont.

So, yes, $45 for 2 people. Did we gorge? No, not really. I had the waffles, she had the breakfast pie. I had a cup of decaf, she had an Americano. We also got her a piece of bread and some chocolate to take to work with her. And of course a decent tip.

So we didn't scrimp, but we didn't go crazy either. Not $45 crazy, at least.

Let me stress that I'm not cheap. Last night I dropped $135 at Fire on dinner and didn't think a lot about it. Of course, we both had a few drinks, enjoyed a complete three-course feast and left content and sated.

This wasn't the case at Vine and Bean. The food was underwhelming (at best), and it seemed like everything had been pre-prepared and warmed up before serving. The coffee I had tasted burnt and gross, the waffles were pretty good, but the bread (which I sampled) was dry and bland. She was left equally ambivalent about her own.

What bugs me about this the most is that this place is almost certain to get fawned over by every food writer in town, praising the chef's baking skills and the quaint setting of the place. It is one of those places where the critical acclaim was decided the day the plans to open were announced. There are a number of other indie eateries with the same kind of character (though it really is difficult to match her cooking skills) that will never get half as eager an embrace.

And I'm out half a c-note and grumpy for the day.

Rant over. I gotta go do work.

4 comments:

Kerry said...

I was going to ask if it was a buffet, but omg.

Here in PHX, I want to hit this place: http://www.downtownbrunch.com/menu1.html

Whatever happened with The Old Angle?

taawd said...

i hate "upscale" restaurants where the food prices are inflated and the portions are deflated.

i had an similar experience at flying fig in ohio city. i've never been back. sure, you could argue it was one visit but you get one shot with me when i'm spending good money to dine at your establishment, so bring it!

Christine Borne said...

This is my favorite part:

"What bugs me about this the most is that this place is almost certain to get fawned over by every food writer in town...It is one of those places where the critical acclaim was decided the day the plans to open were announced...."

You're so right. And did you read Chef's Widow's post the other day about the increasing lameness of food reviewing in Cleveland? I think bloggers are going to have to pick up the slack here. I think more people these days Google restaurants they've heard of (and sift through the results) than read newspaper restaurant reviews anyway.

Although, to give them the benefit of the doubt, they may just be working out the kinks.

Next time you should go to Touch Supper Club for brunch! I went there three weeks in a row.

CB said...

Thanks all.

Kerry, the Old Angle owner sent me a nice email, promised to look into the situation, and to install a light in the alcove. I never heard anything again, and have been either too busy or out of town to pop in for a visit latey.

Taawd, I see your point. I personally dig the Flying Fig, but probably because my first couple visits were so positive.

Christine, yeah I saw that post by Chef's Widow, but didn't put two and two together till you mentioned it. I think she and I are harping on the same type of thing from two different perspectives. I'll definitely agree with her take on PD "journalism" -- when it comes to anything remotely concerning local culture/entertainment, the Scene blows the PD out of the water.