Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Another movie recommendation

Dear readers, following up on my endorsement of Barcelona, I have another must-see movie for you.

Last night, I watched Eagle vs Shark and laughed the whole time. Sort of a low-chuckle laugh, with occasional flights of high-pitched giggling (which I'd rather forget, yet find myself blogging about).

This is all the more remarkable considering how drop-dead exhausted I was.

Anyway, the film is an indie romantic comedy, filmed in New Zealand, and stars Jermaine Clement (famous from The Flight of the Conchords) and Loren Horsely (not famous, but also the films co-writer). The actors (including every single secondary performer) are perfect, with the best visual/facial comedy I've seen in a long time, the cultural references spot-on, and some beautiful film work, a long with a few brief recurring animation sequences. In a way, I suppose you could describe this as a smarter, better executed, more professional version of the mumblecore scene storming the US. (By the way, I really dig the mumblecore movement, so that's a huge compliment.) I suppose another way to compare it would be to a darker, edgier, smarter Napoleon Dynamite that features older and more fractured characters.

Plus, the film's soundtrack is great, and not in a smack-you-in-the-face way like Cameron Crowe or Wes Anderson do. Check it out!

1 comment:

Kelly and José said...

Horse :)

We too enjoyed this film, seeing it originally at The Cedar Lee, and tempted to purchase it...

ps - We appreciated your feedback about our Weezer post!

pss - For the sake of nostalgia, [Click Here] and [Click Here] for our random "Eagle vs. Shark" related posts

Note: Eagle vs. Shark happened to play at The 2007 Cleveland International Film Festival, but we unfortunately missed it