Friday, June 13, 2008

Whither Avon?

Today is the day.

The day being reference to Avon's annual Duct Tape festival, of course.

I'll be spending the next handful of hours anxiously awaiting my first ever trip to the thriving metropolis of Avon, an excitement I know will only increase every mile we head further westward on the interstate.

After getting our fill of duct tape wallets, prom dresses, parade floats, and documentaries, we'll be stopping off for dinner at Henry's at the Barn, the restaurant most famous for the smug joy it allows local professional food writers when they casually name drop "Low Country" like it is an every day thing, like they didn't have to google it or just take the phrase straight off the website.

I don't know a single thing about low country, beyond its location in South Carolina (thank you, website) and my context-clues driven conclusion that the topography of said country is reduced in scale compared to the rest of the state. But I do know a quick perusal of the menu reminds me of many non-tourist restaurants I enjoyed in my brief life as a resident of Louisiana, so I'm excited.

Anyway, the goal of this post -- beyond insulting professional food writers, a literary species of which I was once a member -- is to ask my friendly readers if they have any other tips about Avon. I heard there was an ice cream parlor right next to the restaurant, but that's about it. Any tips, as usual, would be graciously accepted and (probably) followed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

have never been to avon's duct tape fest. curious.

you might want to check out akron's national hamburger festival on july 19. (if you like burgers and all)

http://www.hamburgerfestival.com