Friday, June 6, 2008

My (poorly managed) city

So today I left my office early, to get a head start on the birthday weekend festivities.

Of course, the city of Cleveland couldn't help me with this.

I wait 30 minutes for the Euclid Corridor trolley, which is supposed to arrive every 10 minutes on the dot.

The driver must've been in a mood, because she made a big deal out of braking frequently in such a way as to show her displeasure with other motorists. I've played that game before, stupidly, but it was always with my own vehicle. I can't imagine the city would be happy she was doing so with theirs. Then again, with this city, they probably wouldn't even notice, being too busy jetting off to Paris on taxpayer money and all. (That story still floors me.)

I finally get to Tower City, manage to get down to the basement to the red line entrance and am greeted with the hugest non-Browns game crowd ever waiting for a train. Turns out the rapid is more than 30 minutes behind. Plus the usual number of crazies is quintupled, with the featured guest being some lunatic screaming that the machine stole his dollar and that the city needs to get their fucking pop machines fixed. Get in line, pal. I can't believe this guy didn't get arrested, as he started screaming at anyone near him, asking whether they had a problem and if they wanted to "go." About 15 minutes later, the train came -- after two empty but not in service trains went past -- and stop-start-stop-started its way to the West 25th stop. For those of you that ride the train often, you know that is about a 4 minute ride. This time took about 22 minutes.

Finally, I get off, navigate the throng of pan-handlers lined up and waiting for what is now rush hour (despite my attempt to leave the office before 3), and get to the market. I do what I need to do there, with the only disappointment being the fact that no one has black cherries this week, and head home. On the way I see two different squad cars parked. One just sitting there, with two cops in it, the other with one cop writing tickets while his partner kept the passenger seat warmed.

Now I am all in favor of having plenty of cops near my home, but seriously guys, what a waste of manpower. Four cops to give out parking tickets. And only one actually out of the car. Even if the two guys sitting in the car were doing something else of importance, that still leaves a two-man unit to give out parking tickets. I mean, today's the hottest day of the year, the first real hot day so far -- you know there are gonna be fools shooting other fools tonight. Can't we focus our energy on that? Just sayin'.

But enough of the complaining. I turned on the AC right before starting this post and am starting to feel the first few cool bursts on my back. I'm gonna jump in the shower, put on a pair of shorts, and head eastward to a friend's, where we'll grill trout and make this funky coconut-sweet potato-bok choy recipe I found online when trying to figure out how to make use of my first batch of CSA produce. (Early next week I'm gonna braise up some curried collard and turnip greens.)

Speaking of which, sorry Christine, but I forgot to take a picture. Next time, I promise, cause that seems like a good idea, especially week-to-week. However, if you have any tips for recipes featuring hyssop, I'm all ears.

2 comments:

Christine Borne said...

They didn't give you hyssop....

You could make some cough syrup, but that's about it. Or you could hang some on your door to scare off psychic vampires.

I got caught in the rapid mess too. I think there were signal problems between E. 55th and Tower City, I'm guessing due to the heat.

that girl said...

i got home a good hour later that friday also.

what killed me was that the waterfront line that no one uses was working just fine.