Friday, June 6, 2008

Goodbye youth

Today is the last day of my 20s.

I feel as if I should go out and do something completely irresponsible this evening.

I also feel like I should stop by the Brooks Brothers at Tower City beforehand, to buy a staid suit for tomorrow, as I embark on the rest of my life being old.

It is funny, I sent a text message to several of my friends the other day, mentioning that my 30th birthday was coming up. Their ages ranged from 24 to late 30s.

The responses I received were telling. Every single one younger than me made some variation on the joke "Ha Ha old man." The ones already over 30 split just about 50-50 between pep talks ("The 30s have been way better to me than the 20s") and hostility ("I'm turning 40 in a year, asshole" or simply "Fuck You").

So, even though I intellectually understand the miniscule difference between one day and the next, the symbolic change of cohorts kinda bowls me over.

4 comments:

Chef's Widow said...

Happy day before your birthday gemini! My 29th is on Sunday.

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

happy birthday!!! i'll be 28 in a few weeks. gah!

Christine Borne said...

Nobody panic - 28, 29, and 30 are NOT old.

90 is old!

Unknown said...

belated birthday wishes!