Monday, June 23, 2008

Extreme Creepiness at the Old Angle

So, tonight my lady friend and I are at the Old Angle, partaking in wing night gloriousness. (Note: the "hot" wings are INCREDIBLY hot, much more so than the typical "hot" flavor most other places.)

After a bit, she excuses herself to go to the restroom and comes back quickly, completely freaked out.

Mind you, this is a person that remains calm and cool all the time -- sometimes irritatingly so.

She says, "Something really weird just happened."

When she went to the basement to use the ladies room, she stepped down two steps into the restroom area, at which point you can either turn left or right. A left turn apparently will take you into the restroom, a right turn will leave you staring into a small alcove, maybe 18 inches deep, and nothing more.

Never having been there before, she turned to her right and ...

saw a guy wearing an apron standing there, back pressed up against the wall. She screamed, naturally, and he stepped forward, telling her it was ok because he worked there. Then he left and she came back upstairs.

She made me go down later and glance into the entrance way (NOT the actual bathroom), so that I could fully understand why she was so upset. I told her I understood, but she insisted I look for myself. I finally did so, and I gotta say it made me even more concerned. There is seriously no reason I could ever think of that would lead a male employee to stand there. It isn't really near the other storage areas down there, the only reason you would even go down those steps would be to go in the restroom. It is possible he was in there cleaning, but that doesn't explain being pressed up in an alcove, totally hidden from the view of women entering.

Seriously, there is NO reason for that, other than some pretty disturbing options, the best case scenario of which being really creepy and probably criminal. The worst case scenario being too awful to mention, though I imagine you all can insert your own nightmare here.

Later, the guy in question came back into the bar, and then exited, walking into the kitchen area. So, if nothing else, we are all but positive the dude is an employee.

We mentioned it to the bartender who cashed us out after we finished eating, and he seemed genuinely taken aback. He offered an apology and a shared sense of confusion, but that's about it. To be fair, I can't really say what else I would've wanted the Monday night bartender to do, but I still walked out of there feeling really disturbed. I can't come close to guessing how my date felt, but probably not good.

So, anyway, for my female readers especially, but anyone with an opinion, what do you think I should do as a follow up? I like the Old Angle, it serves good pub grub, has a nice neighborhood feel to it (possible peepers/worse not withstanding), and has been one of my favorite places in Ohio City over this past year. I don't want to just banish it from my list of potential places to go. I also don't want to read in the paper about any other woman falling victim (literally) to any similar act of creepiness, or worse. In the event that the guy in question is the worst case scenario, I don't want someone like that working in my neighborhood. But most importantly, I don't want to be passive about such an indignity. I feel guilty and somewhat responsible. It was my neighborhood bar, my suggestion to go get wings and cheap beers there instead of driving somewhere, it was me who she was over visiting. It would be far from gentlemanly or even reliable for me just to shrug my shoulders and drop it.

I'm usually the type of person that tries to visualize how difficult/stressful things will go before I jump in, but I can't quite wrap my mind around walking into the bar later in the week, asking to speak to the manager, and telling them what I just told you. I also know I react poorly when frustrated, and I can't really imagine the manager reacting in any way that wouldn't leave me frustrated in some form or another, if for no other reason that I can't really tell you what type of response I would even want the manager to have.

So any advice would be quite welcome.

In the meantime, to my bar-going female readers, please travel in pairs to the Old Angle's ladies room and make sure you are secure before allowing yourself to be vulnerable.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Your friend needs to write a letter to the manager, since she's the person who had the incident, and mention you by name as a collaborating witness and the person who talked to the bartender. Send it by some sort of confirmed mail, give names and phone numbers, and inform them that you'd like an explanation. And then see what happens.

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

knowing very well the area in question. the kitchen worker was probably just taking a break.

it's not like he can see into the womens bathroom from there or anything.

i would just chalk it up as a simple mistake.

CB said...

Thanks Kerry and Alexa.

Kerry, your idea sounds about right. I think that's what we'll do, for now.

Alexa, I initially was inclined to see things your way, too, but after she made me go downstairs and visualize what she was talking about, there is simply no way a male employee would be taking a break there ... inside the entrance to the ladies room ... pressed up against the wall. If someone wanted to take a break, they could do it in a number of ways and places in that basement that aren't as absolutely inappropriate and potentially dangerous as that one.

Even if it is a simple mistake, it shows remarkably bad judgment and, well, stupidity. At best. And when I think, "what's more likely, a guy absent-mindedly deciding to hide against a wall in the ladies room or a guy hiding against a wall in the ladies room for somewhat nasty purposes," well...

Plus, another person (and Ohio City resident) emailed me privately this morning to express their own concern and also pointed out the sketchiness of the side door entrance that allows anyone who so desires to enter the bar without being seen by anyone and go down to the basement restroom area where there is no security. With the homeless activity that is concentrated around there and the bus-stops with non- neighborhood residents standing at that precise intersection all day, and the rather limited police attention and poor response time to the area, this all adds up to an eventual (and unavoidable) sad and shocking lead in for the local news some night.

Anyone else have good suggestions, or want to weigh in on what Kerry and/or Alexa say?