Saturday, April 26, 2008

Movie Recommendation

For those of you that haven't seen it, I highly endorse checking out the film Barcelona.

It isn't exactly a new release, rather it is circa 1994. It is a gem of a dialogue driven film, and I think it is Whit Stilman's finest. Far more polished and less explicitly class-oriented (though still class-oriented) than say Metropolitan.

This is the film that completely sold me on Chris Eigeman as an actor. I mean, Mr. Jealousy helped, but this one completed the deal.

I mean, this has everything: humor, beautiful women and architecture, interesting discussion about foreign affairs that isn't all focused on 9/11-ish issues, even eyepatches.

What I think I like best is that Stilman takes his audience seriously, he respects them and doesn't do all the work for the viewer.

Anyway, all this is pretty disjointed. Just check it out. The thing is on netflix. Make some fancy flavor of popcorn, turn on the movie, and enjoy a couple hours of smart but not overtly intellectual or artsy film.

1 comment:

russ said...

The first time I saw that movie I couldn't stop laughing. It was hilarious. Somehow no one else was laughing as hard as I, so I figure it's not for everyone.