Monday, March 31, 2008

Opening Day!

When I was growing up, opening day of baseball season was always a sign that spring was here. I also managed to put up a semi-impressive streak of opening day attendance at Wrigley Field through high school and college, though eventually the day seemed to get colder and more expensive and I turned 21, which enabled the new "skip class and watch it at the bar" option.

Years later, I still love opening day. I'm sitting here, with AM 1100 blaring as the usually ridiculo-conservative hosts have moved their location to Progressive Field and are temporarily suspending the race-baiting and self-righteous lack of logic for hours upon hours of pre-game coverage. Just in case you couldn't tell, I feel that this switch is a good thing.

I'm working from home today and have TONS of work to do, but every quarter-hour the desire to put on a sweatshirt and jacket and head downtown to scalp a ticket grows. After doing battle with (and losing) Time Warner, I no longer have cable, so watching games on the tube this year will be, well, impossible. And I sooo want to catch this one.

I guess we will see if adult responsibilities trump youthful zeal.

No comments: