Sunday, March 9, 2008

Film Fest Update

I'm officially through with 1/2 of my festival 6-pack. So far, I've seen Eduart, In Search of a Midnight Kiss, and Dead Time.

None of the three were exactly what I expected. With respect to Eduart, that was just an interesting development, not any better or worse than what I had anticipated. In Search of a Midnight Kiss was much better than I expected, not as whiny or as noir-ish as I had feared, but a lot funnier. The penultimate scene wasn't that great, but the finale, including especially the roommates sing-a-long, was perfect. Dead Time was a lot hokier in parts than I thought, with some ham-fisted shout-outs to the Indonesian director's American and British filmmaker heroes.

Still, all three were enjoyable, though I wish I'd seen the French film Love Songs instead of Dead Time. Regardless, I'm really looking forward to the second half of my 6-pack. On Wednesday, I'm gonna hit a Russian cinema double feature (feat. Russian Triangle and Cargo 200), and after that, assuming I don't kill myself as a result of the double dose of Russki fatalism and assuming my car has been unburied, I might head over to the Bertram Woods branch of the Shaker Heights library to catch a rare screening of a documentary about Cleveland's poet laureate, Daniel Thompson.

My last film I'm currently booked to see is Exodus, which is also the one I'm looking forward to the most (or at least it is tied with Cargo 200).

PS - For those of you interested in Russian film, you might want to mark your calendars: On April 20th at 1:30, Angels on the Right screens at the CMA. Of course, I just realized that is the same day as the Metro Parks Zoo's Earth Day Fest.

Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

No comments: