Baby, it is cold outside. As much as seeing those mid-Atlantic punks get buried in snow warms my heart, it does little to warm my toes. Instead, I've been in multi-blanket nap mode, cuddling with my pups and dreaming strange dreams, for a couple days now. That can't last forever, though, and by tomorrow it'll be time to get off the mat and start being a human again. Below is my list of things to consider when you plan your own week.
Sunday, 2/7 - With the blustery cold, there is only one thing to do: chill and watch a movie. Fortunately, today brings you three good selections: Holy Land Hardball at the Mandel Jewish Community Center and Wild River and The Wedding Song at the CIA Cinematheque. Check out my month in film guide here for more information.
Monday, 2/8 - tba
Tuesday, 2/9 - tba
Wednesday, 2/10 - There's only one place you should be this Wednesday night, and that's at Arts Collinwood. The Waterloo Road non-profit is playing host to the Art for Haiti Benefit, which includes a live art auction from top local and national artists, food, cocktails and live jazz music. Proceeds will go directly to the Haiti Emergency Village Project. The auctioneer for the night is none other than Mr. Lawrence Daniel Caswell. Check out this link for more information about the evening.
Thursday, 2/11 - The CSU Vikings play host to conference rival Valpo tonight in what should be a heckuva game. The Vikes got beat by 7 when they visited Valparaiso in January, but between the home court advantage and the growing team confidence as they ride a now four-game winning streak (and a 7-2 record since starting conference play in earnest), things should be a little more friendly for the home team this time around. After the CSU fans storm the court following this hopeful W, head to the CIA Cinematheque for a different kind of Storm, as the finest reperatory theater in the land screens the critically adored political thriller/international court procedural about Bosnian war crimes.
Friday, 2/12 - Assuming the mid-week snow dump I've been hearing about takes place as feared, it is unlikely we'll see much mass migration across the river this weekend. Which is ok, kind of, because there are a pair of good events on either side of the East-West divide. For you westerners, check out the "Sonic Landscapes" exhibit opening at Asterisk Gallery. Featuring work by a half-dozen artists, including CB faves Scott Pickering and Jason Byers, this'll be well worth putting on the winter boots. Eastward, you can have fun while helping out a good cause at the Beachland-hosted Free Clinic Benefit. Headed by Carlos Jones & the PLUS Band (with opening assists by Austin Walkin' Cane, oldboy, and Nights), the $10 event will help fund the non-profit that has provided medical care to so many who wouldn't otherwise be able to get it. There isn't a better place to donate your hard earned dollars these days, folks.
Saturday, 2/13 - With the exception of today's CSU game against Butler (the second this week against a conference rival hailing from that awful state to the west of us), today's another one of those days where you can spend the entire time on Waterloo Road and have a better time than anyone you'll swap stories with on Monday morning. During the day, do some good and check out the UpStage Artisan Alley sale at the Slovenian Workman's Home. Kind of like a smaller scale Bazaar Bizarre, this event will serve as a fundraiser for the UpStage Players, a non-profit children's theatre group run by an all volunteer staff in Northeast Ohio. Later, stick around for Round two of the Mystery of Two residency at Arts Collinwood and then head down the block for one of the best (and beer-soaked) live shows in town when the Whiskey Daredevils take the stage at the Beachland.
Other stuff to keep your eye on the following week:
- 2/14 - Lawrence Daniel Caswell DJs the Beachland Brunch
- 2/14 - Mine screens @ CMA
- 2/14 - Girlyman @ Beachland Tavern
- 2/16 - George Clinton @ House of Blues
- 2/17 - Pretty & Nice in-store @ Blue Arrow Records
- 2/17 - Uncertainty screens @ CIA
- 2/18 - Snoop Dogg @ House of Blues
- 2/18 - Unmade Beds screens @ CIA
- 2/19 - Paradise screens @ CMA
- 2/20 - Mystery of Two residency @ Arts Collinwood (w/ Freedom)
- 2/20 - Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise @ Beachland
- 2/20 - How to Breathe Underwater/Whisper Signal @ bela dubby
- 2/20 - Big Trouble in Little China screens @ Capitol Theater
- 2/20 - CSU vs Toledo ESPNU Bracket-Busters game
- 2/20 - Poet's Haven event @ Blue Arrow Records
- 2/20 - Until the Light Takes Us screens @ CIA
- 2/21 - Found Footage Festival @ Beachland Ballroom
- 2/22 - Supersuckers @ Grog Shop
- 2/23 - Ha Ha Tonka @ Beachland
- 2/23 - Cold Cave/Emeralds/Hair Police @ Grog Shop
- 2/24 - Harmony @ Me screens @ CMA
- 2/24 - Cleveland Bachelor Show of the Month: So Cow/Shiny Penny/The Modern Electric @ Beachland
3 years ago