Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sharing the love. Uh, I mean, like.

Yesterday, while I was in the middle of haggling with my salesman over trade-in value, I get a little buzz in my pocket telling my I just received a text message. Because I am too stupid to understand technology, my phone has this feature I can't figure out how to turn off, where it keeps buzzing every several minutes until I acknowledge the text.

After a while, once the negotiations had largely ended and I was waiting for my turn with the paperwork guy, I finally checked it and was sweetly bowled over by a kind little "Happy VD Day" message from a chick I'm friends with. (The redundant "D" only made it awesomer.) As I was not only single this Valentine's Day, but spending the day with my visiting pal doing ridiculously romantic things like watching French films and cooking dinner, it was super-nice to hear from someone of the opposite sex, regardless of the whole platonic nature of the communique.

I sat there, sorta smiling, sorta impatiently waiting, sorta trying to control the racing nervousness I'd contracted from drinking too many cups of coffee, and started to think about the whole "friend sending another single friend a Valentine's Day text" and decided to pass along the good will.

So, I texted a bunch of my single female friends a simple "Happy Valentine's Day" message, and then didn't think much of it. Soon I was up in the dealership dude's office, signing my life away, and then it was time to get the new vehicle, and then Ducky and I drove around Cleveland Heights for a while. Before you know it, a few hours had gone by and I finally checked my phone again to see what was causing the unending buzzing. Turns out I'd heard back from a bunch of the young ladies, and the range of responses was diverse, hilarious, and awesome. A couple simple "thanks, you too", two different "back at ya's", one "UGH!!!", a "Thx sugar, Ditto" and a "You too, dear" -- those last two were my favorites. Plus a bunch of smiley faces. And, of course, one big old non-response, which I find most interesting of all. But whatever.

This morning I was thinking about it and decided there was a 50-50 chance that what I had done was super creepy. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. Doesn't really matter, as I define creepy these days, especially when I'm trying not to be.

Regardless, to those of you who spent yesterday's bastard of a holiday alone or with other unhitched friends, I salute you. I am you. Most of all, I'd like to take this moment to remind you: we made it through this one, too. Maybe next year'll be different, but if not, I'll send you a text.

No comments: