Monday, May 4, 2009

Ann Arbor?

I have decided to make this July "Official Cleveland Bachelor Road Trip Month." Every weekend I think I'm gonna get out of Clevo and do something cool. Weekend number 1 is gonna include a drive to Ann Arbor, to catch a performance of Dean and Britta's live score of the Andy Warhol films they've been taking around the country lately. (Subsequent weekends include trips to Kentucky for Lebowski Fest and Chicago for the Pitchfork music fest.)

Which brings me to the question at hand ... Anyone know anything cool about Ann Arbor? In particular, any killer record stores, indie book stores, cafes and dive bars and the like that I'd be really upset at myself for not checking out. I think I'll only be there for a day-and-a-half, so I'm only looking for a couple joints to eat and a half-days worth of record/bookstore browsing.

Tips are welcome!

7 comments:

matt said...

There are a lot of great record stores in Ann Arbor, but the one that you will totally lose yourself in, is called Encore Recordings.

It is MASSIVE and fun!

Matt

Cookbook said...

I've only ever been to Ann Arbor once, for eight hours on a subzero day in January to see an instore performance by Kristin Hersh at the Borders, but I recommend Zingerman's, which is super-bougie, but also an amazing place for baked goods, olive oil, etc. And you can bring me back some bread.

emily said...

i think you should hold off on making travel plans until you recover from the knife fight. just sayin'...

evencleveland said...

Ann Arbor is one of my favorite places to spend the day. They have a killer farmer's market on Saturday mornings (and Zingerman's is the business).

Kelly and José said...

As we have mentioned, our friend Elizabeth lives there -- so, we'll have to let her know you'll be in town ;)

ps - Yes, Zingerman's is absolutely fantastic and so is this lovely cafe called Zanzibar (for Brunch)

CB said...

K&J - You guys should come with! You'd probably dig the Dean & Britta thing, and we could hit up record stores & Zingerman's while we are there. Though you might have to take off work, as it would probably be a leave Thursday morning/drive back late Friday afternoon trip. Think on it!

Kelly and José said...

We did a little discussing and are thinking we're down for it! :)

Let's talk details over the weekend*