Sunday, February 17, 2008

Howdy, Y'all

That’s how we talk down here. We also say shit like “Gig ‘em” and “Saw ‘em Off” and other ritualized nonsense.

ACTUALLY, that’s how they talk down there. I’m no longer a resident of Aggieland, though I guess I’ll always be an Aggie, at least according to my C.V.

Either way, it is good to be back for a visit. So far it has been a good time, even as all my carefully laid plans have been systematically undermined.

I’ve been able to have a couple excellent work-related meetings, and – more importantly – have been able to hook up with just about every one of my friends that still live around hear. I saw some terrible live music with Stephen, had lunch and went to a party with Rola, and met Dave and Brad for wings, beers, and Banger Burgers at Harvey Washbangers (my old corner bar/Laundromat). I also managed a quick jaunt to Austin, where I snagged a new CD at the excellently excellent Waterloo Records, a few books and an old-school Soviets vs Americans pack of army soldiers at Book People, and a Boodie Burger at Hut’s. I also went and saw a tremendous musical based on the life and work of Daniel Johnston, a musician whose work I’ve long admired and a guy I was fortunate to get to know a (very) little bit in my last year at A&M.

Now I’m sitting at Revolution Café, trying to recalibrate my plans yet again. The friend I was supposed to hang with is stuck in Dallas, the other friend I was supposed to crash with is having severe utilities issues, and I suddenly find myself with an open evening and no earthly idea what to do.

I’m making my triumphant return to Cleveland tomorrow, after another morning work session, lunch with my dissertation chair, and a quick visit to my friend Brad’s new office complex. Until then, though, I have to figure out where I’m going to sleep this evening.

No comments: