Saturday, October 10, 2009

The week ahead: 10/11-10/17 (CB probably gonna be sick in bed edition)

The last few weeks, with the change in the weather, I've seen numerous pals go down to illness, sometimes for a day or two, sometimes for longer. I've looked on in sympathy (both sincere and good health karma inspired) and hoped/naively expected I'd manage to elude the crud this year.

Alas, it appears not to be so. I woke up this morning with an unpleasant tickle in my chest and now, a few hours later, that tickle has morphed into a wheeze and with ever cough I realize the depth of garbage in my chest exceeds what I'd previously feared. Fortunately, given the oddity of my work schedule, I only really have to leave my bed once next week, so I'm probably not gonna have to pull a phlegmatic zombie and muscle through numerous workdays, infecting my colleagues and such.

Still, I will probably have to check out of all the fun stuff, of which there is a bunch. Check out all the cool stuff I likely won't be doing next week and, do me a favor, somebody please check it out on my behalf?

Sunday, 10/11 - Two big shows in town this Sunday night. Feel like an evening of J/Swede-pop? Plug the Grog Shop's coordinates into your GPS and go check out Asobi Seksu, Loney Dear, and Anna Ternheim. Like your sound a little heavier? Then check out the Black Angels/Disappears/Pierced Arrows bill at the Beachland.

Monday, 10/12 - Hmm.

Tuesday, 10/13
- Hmm, part deux.

Wednesday, 10/14 - Califone brings their multi-media show to the Beachland Ballroom. This is one I've really been looking forward to, and if I'm still sick on Wednesday my heart will break into tiny pieces. The Chicago post-folk/pop rock band is touring on behalf of its newest release, All My Friends are Funeral Singers, and the show also features a screening of band frontman Tim Rutili's film of the same name (a well-received feature about a psychic woman in the woods and stars Angela Bettis). This is some good stuff folks, don't miss out.

All My Friends Are Funeral Singers Trailer from Califone on Vimeo.

Thursday, 10/15 - The big draw tonight is They Might Be Giant's show at the Beachland, where they will be playing their classic album, Flood, in its entirety. If you have tickets for this one, have a blast. If not, tough luck, as that sucker is all sold out. Fear not, however, as CB favorite Heelsplitter is playing at Nemeth's Lounge in Painesville, the CSU Poetry Center has a good event featuring Oni Buchanan and Carmen Gimenez Smith, and the Jewish Film Festival gets kicked off with a screening of Refusenik at Shaker Square. Plenty of good stuff to do, even if you won't be hearing "Birdhouse in Your Soul" up close and personal.



Friday, 10/16 - Fridays always leave us with tough live music decisions to make. This one will be no different. You can (a) catch The Mars Volta at House of Blues (get there early and have dinner there first), (b) see Dr Dog at the Beachland, or (c) catch UK punker Dave House at the Soggy Dog House in Lakewood.

Saturday, 10/17
- To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to what is going on this day, as I'm accompanying a pal to a wedding. I do know that the critically acclaimed film A Woman in Berlin is screening at the CIA Cinematheque. How about you check that out, maybe have dinner somewhere nice in University Circle beforehand and a beer at the Barking Spider after. There, that sounds nice. Enjoy.



Other stuff to keep your eye on the following week:

- 10/19 - Paleface @ W 25th Matinee (FREE)
- 10/19 - Coit Road Market Benefit @ Beachland
- 10/19 - At Home In Utopia screens @ Cedar-Lee (JFF)
- 10/20 - St Vincent @ Beachland
- 10/20 - Poets David Baker and Kevin Proffer read at CSU
- 10/21 - Nollywood Babylon screens @ CMA
- 10/21 - Langhorne Slim @ Grog Shop
- 10/21 - Elusive Parallelograms @ Now That's Class
- 10/22 - Saul Williams @ HOB
- 10/22 - The Gift to Stalin screens @ Cedar-Lee (JFF)
- 10/23 - Captured! By Robots @ Grog Shop
- 10/23 - Ghoulardi Fest @ the Cleveland Airport Marriott (through 10/25)
- 10/24 - Drummer/Royal Bangs @ Beachland Ballroom
- 10/24 - Unsparing Sea release party @ Beachland Tavern
- 10/24 - The Debt screens @ Cedar-Lee (JFF)

No comments: