Saturday, August 2, 2008

music & art in Collinwood

So I went to that Zookeepers show last night. Let me tell you, those dudes are YOUNG! Like high school young, I think.

Still, they got some chops, especially the guitarist (who was sporting a Clay Aiken tour shirt ... awesome). They didn't play either of my favorite tunes, but it was worth getting out of the house anyway.

Today I went over to the Waterloo Arts Fest. It was awesome.

I actually volunteered in the morning, and found myself on a four-man crew putting up the wobbliest tents in the world. It was a lot of fun, and the three other people were really cool. We only worked together for like three hours, but it kinda seemed like we walked away sort of friends. I hope I bump into one or more of them soon, before their names and faces fade from my memory. With the way things have been going in that department, I better bump into them like sometime next week.

After my shift ended, one of my fellow tent-putter-uppers and I snagged some PBRs and relaxed in the cavernous community center room behind ArtsCollinwood. After trading tales and draining our cans, we split up, and I worked my way from booth to booth. I picked up a cool photographic print and a pair of neat postcards from some gals affiliated with the local Artisans Alliance group I always see outside Visible Voice during the Tremont Art Walk. I also snagged a homemade shirt from Shoparooni and a few cool cds from Music Saves, including Air's Moon Safari, Flight of the Conchords, and Danielson's Ships (the latter despite my disdain for Sufjan). Had a good chat with the female half of the store's ownership and was, for the first time ever, busted out as the infamous Cleveland Bachelor. She was totally cool, and even complimentary about it, but I was super embarrassed for whatever reason, like I had been caught red-handed at something nerdily shameful. Anyway, she gave me some tips on places in Collinwood to think about moving to, and all was well.

Afterwards I headed down to the Beachland and caught a couple sets of free local rock, courtesy of both Mystery of Two and The Hot Rails. Both were good, but I really dug the Hot Rails set. So much so that I picked up a copy of their cd and even googled the band when I got home to see if they had any more upcoming gigs. Note to Hot Rails: put a schedule on your myspace page, por favor.

After having my fill of music, I bounced around again, grabbed some grub from the gyro guys, spilled my drink on my pants, bought a $1 beer at a weird little bar next to ArtsCollinwood (not Cafe Marika), and then decided to go home. Doing so meant I would miss the several after-parties (particularly the cool collage party at Shoparooni and the pizza and music at Music Saves), but I was whupped.

Now I'm gonna get a quick shower, then head across the street to the Garage Bar to see my friend's band play. I'm tired, but after seeing these fellas play before, I have a feeling it will be only mere minutes before I'm bellied up to the bar and in the swing of things. I just hope tomorrow isn't too tough - I actually need to get some shit done.

No comments: